CTA, in collaboration with the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), will organise a Plug and Play event in the framework of which various agricultural mobile applications and devices will be showcased. The event will take place in the framework of the World Summit on the Information Society Forum (WSIS 2016) at the ITU premises in Geneva, Switzerland, on 5 May 2016 between 09:00 and 12:00.
These applications and products have been developed and are operated by young entrepreneurs from Africa, the Caribbean, Europe and the United States. Some of the applications have been developed through hackathons and incubations organised by the project “Agricultural, Rural Development and Youth in the Information Society” (ARDYIS) which won the 2015 WSIS Forum Prize in the e-agriculture category. The applications to be demonstrated at WSIS facilitate access to agricultural finance, agricultural market, climate smart information, pest management, nutrition, and fighting food waste. Some of these apps are already impacting lives of thousands of farmers in Africa, the Caribbean and Asia.
Subsequent to the Plug & Play session, a panel discussion is set to take place from 15:00 to 16:30 on the theme “Accelerating ICT for agriculture entrepreneurship to promote youth livelihoods and sustainable development”.
- Learn more about the Plug and Play session on the ITU website
- Read CTA’s latest publication ‘Innovate for Agriculture‘. It presents a multi-dimensional picture of the evolving field of ICT entrepreneurship in agriculture in developing countries and describes challenges but also successes already achieved.
- Read the latest blog written by Peris Bosire, FarmDrive
- Read the story of Yacouba Alfari, a young agri entrepreneur from Niger
- Follow CTA on Twitter @CTAFlash
- Follow the event with hashtags #WSIS2016 and #ICT4Ag